opening a text document to show a .txt file through a browser link

Sam Hughes me at privacy.net
Sun Dec 29 20:37:55 EST 2002

"Nico Schuyt" <nschuyt at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:3e0f0bce$0$30032$1b62eedf at news.euronet.nl:

> Sam Hughes wrote:
>> Making Web sites is _not_ programming.  Programming happens when you
>> give a list of instructions that are to be executed.  Making web
>> sites involves using markup to describe text and images.  Web sites
>> do not give browsers instructions, they give browsers information.  A
>> margin between it and other paragraphs," it says "This here is a
>> paragraph."
>
> Disagree with that. A HTML page is a set of command lines. When sent
> to the interpreter, the browser, the result is shown on the screen.

You could also consider an ASCII text file to be a "set of command lines."
Every character in that text file is a command that says "display me after
the previous character," or "start a new line" or "indent to the next tab
stop."

Thus, by your logic, an ASCII text file is written in a programming
language.