HELP! Must choose language!

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Dec 30 08:51:45 EST 2002

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Chewdip20 fed this fish to the penguins on Sunday 29 December 2002
> 08:17 pm:
>
> > Oh, and as a follow up to that, you should probably know I use a Mac,
> > so take that into consideration.
> >
>         Well, that cuts into things (unless you have room to install a
>         PowerPC [it is that, at least?] version of Mandrake Linux).

You hardly need Linux to learn programming on a Mac.  Python runs on the
classic MacOS versions, and if you're willing to spend a little money,
you can get commercial C, C++, Java, etc.  Metroworks Codewarrior has a
"learning edition" which is only about $100 or so.

If you're running OS-X, you get (or can install via GNU) support for C,
C++, Java, and even Fortran and ADA for free.