Tkinter/win32ui compatibility

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.com
Mon Dec 16 11:46:41 EST 2002

Hi all,

Does anybody know the status of the issue on
http://www.python.org/topics/tkinter/trouble.html concerning Tkinter not
mixing well with PythonWin/win32ui?

I do have encountered this problem on Win98, just by doing things like:

from Tkinter import *
root = Tk()
def f():
  import win32ui
  print 'yeah'
Button(root, text='Boom!', command=f).pack()
root.mainloop()

This simple script crashes horribly on Win98 when you click on the button.
So there's actually an issue.

However, the same script works perfectly on Win2k or WinXP, and I've done
things mixing quite "high-level" win32ui and Tkinter stuff without any
problem.

So what's up? Did the problem resolve itself with the WinNT family, or can
we expect further problems in the future? And is there any known workaround
to make it work on Win9x?
--
- Eric Brunel <eric.brunel at pragmadev.com> -