OT: Canada

Warren Postma warren.postma at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 19 23:37:14 EST 2002

> '''
> France has culture but no civilization. England has civilization but no
> culture. The United States has neither. Canada has both.
>     -- Robin Mathews
> '''

I disagree. Canada (the english part) has no discernible culture, at
least not in the years 1970-2002 (when I have been alive).  Where
exactly did you find the culture? Can I go see it?

I think of Canada as being a composite of multiple cultures, with no
distinctive face of its own, other than an affinity for beer, hockey,
and universal medicare. (None of which may be lightly put aside. You
want to see a pissed off Canadian? Take away my hockey, my beer, and my
medicare.)

That being said, I love being Canadian quite a lot, and I think it's our
multi-culture-vulture ways, combined with our natural wealth, and great
beer, and great hockey, that makes us the amiable lot that we are, well
most of us anyways. (Dissenters will be shot, am I being perfectly clear?)

Warren Postma
Toronto Canada