Need Call Tree Analyzer For Python

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Tue Dec 24 18:00:56 EST 2002

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a utility which can read a stand-alone Python program
> and generate a visual representation of the call tree? (That is, a
> picture of which methods and functions are called and by whom.) Better still
> would be one that optionally generates a variety of output formats -
> nroff, txt, pdf, ps, html, ...

Getting to the call tree requires runtime analysis.
IIRC some people tried extracting some information using sys.settrace.

Additionally, the actual "call tree" can take multiple pathes
because it depends on external signals (e.g. user input).

I'd be interested in a tool that handles this, too :-)

    holger