Python as an Object Oriented Programming Language

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Sat Dec 21 19:42:16 EST 2002

Manuel M. Garcia wrote:
> I think the whole Python-newsgroup vs. LISP-newsgroup thing all
> started when a Pythonista went into the LISP newsgroup and asked for
> opinions about why Python seemed to be overtaking LISP.  Obviously,
> the LISPers took it very hard and crucified him (and rightly so, kinda
> a dumb place to make a comment like that).
>
> Now we have LISPers in CLP doing four things (1) bad-mouthing Python
> (2) talking up LISP (3) trying to convince us to turn Python into LISP
> (4) claiming Python *already* is just a pale imitation of LISP

Nah, it hasn't been so bad.  i mostly appreciated what i read on that
topic.

> I think we would already have Stackless built into CPython if
> Christian Tismer had not also tried to get LISP's continuations added
> to Python too.

ASFAIK this is not true.  It was rejected because it made the python
core quite architecture dependent and complicated and also made life
tougher for C-extenders.  The new version is much better in these
respects. at least Christian says so :-)

> LISP's community is not so hot either.  I remember Slashdot's
> interview with Kent M. Pitman where he said:

why is this significant?  Should one know Mr. Pitman?

regards,

    holger