Python vs Java garbage collection?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Dec 23 03:01:49 EST 2002

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> I can give my word if you want it...

Even with such a guarantee given in good faith (if it were even needed
at all), there's still no assurances that circumstances couldn't come
along that could void that guarantee.  You could move on to other
things, or some other faction would take over CPython development and
turn it in new directions, etc.

The point I was trying to make is about what guarantees the language
makes, rather than the particular details of a certain implementation.
I have very little doubt that CPython's finalization behavior will ever
change; but that was not the point.

/  \ Whoever named it necking was a poor judge of anatomy.
\__/ Groucho Marx
    CAGE / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/cage/
 A cellular automaton simulation system in Python.