Python's popularity statistics

Aaron K. Johnson akjmicro at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 21:43:21 EST 2002

In message <mailman.1039651694.24189.python-list at python.org>, Cliff Wells wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 12:49, Aaron K.Johnson wrote:
> > For all who are interested, I wrote a couple of python scripts that helpe=
> > extract newsgroup activity from the comp.lang.* hierarchy, and this can b=
> e a
> > rough guide to the popularity and usage of the big programming languages.
>
> <advocate name=3D"devil">
>
> Or it could be taken as a measurement of the relative difficulty of a
> language: more activity =3D more questions ;)
>
> </advocate>

I forgot to mention that not only would that NOT explain python being near the
top, but it WOULD explain perl being up there!!!

So, I don't know---you may be right....

Or maybe its-python is fun and people like sharing stuff, and perl sucks and
people ask questions to not bang their heads against Larry Wall's 'walls'

-Aaron.