do you guys help newbies??

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Dec 2 10:35:21 EST 2002

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:

> I presume "dial." above indicates "dialect".  I don't think
> dialectic usage from 1886 is enough to place this obscure usage
> "in the British system"...

I was under the impression that Americans referred to their system of
units as the "British system", despite the fact that noone here in the
UK uses many of the more esoteric units still in use in the states.
I've never seen an English source using British Thermal Units,
certainly.

Cheers,
M.

--
  at any rate, I'm satisfied that not only do they know which end of
  the pointy thing to hold, but where to poke it for maximum effect.