Python's popularity statistics

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Dec 15 15:08:17 EST 2002

Cameron Laird wrote:

> My excuse for a follow-up is to remind readers
> that they can and should regard source code as
> a *liability*, not an asset.

That reminds me of something I believe I've heard in passing
several times in the last while, without paying it much attention.

Finance departments used to treat inventory as an "asset",
and most still do, but that can lead to misleading results when
they've mismanaged the company and purchased far too much.

I believe some companies, or perhaps their auditors, are now
starting to consider inventory a *liability*, just as you
suggest we should do with source.

Sounds like a good idea.

-Peter