Initializing a python module with parameters

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Dec 4 18:21:06 EST 2002

Iggeres Bet wrote:

> The perfect solution would be a:
>
>    # Calling a module constructor
>    import mymodule(<parameters>)
>
> I can write:
>    import mymodule
>    mymodule.init(<parameters>)
>
> But I don't see this code explicit and elegant. What is the best way
> to pass initialization parameters to a Python module?

Since there is no way to do what you want natively in Python (there's no
concept of parameters that you can pass to a module on importing),
elegance isn't really an option :-).  The latter approach is probably a
customary way, though depending on the options involved, they might make
sense as parameters to the constructor of a _class_ in the module, or
something similar.  Without details about exactly what those parameters
are for, it's hard to say if this would make more sense.

/  \ The little I know, I owe to my ignorance.
\__/ Sacha Guitry
    Polly Wanna Cracka? / http://www.pollywannacracka.com/
 The Internet resource for interracial relationships.