[OT] Transactions WAS Re: Using Python for business app development

Ben Leslie benno at sesgroup.net
Mon Dec 23 21:27:05 EST 2002

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Joe 'shmengie' Brown wrote:

> I'm curious as to why you chose PostgreSQL for the database engine.
>
> I've been considering evaluating it, but for my application, I need to
> support windows platform.  Since Mysql has a nice windows client base, this
> is the natural choice for me.

pgaccess is a nice graphical client for Postgres, which I believe also
works on windows.

> Furthermore, transactional aspects aren't high on my proirity list.

They should be. Well, they probably should be. If I was running a message
board or something like that, where you have many reads, and it doesn't
matter if you lose a message or something like that, then maybe I wouldn't
care about transactions. But if you want data integrity you'd be
silly not to use them.

Benno