Is there a bright future for open software projects?

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Sun Dec 1 13:45:51 EST 2002

>I have wondered why open-source software is not more common in
>academia. The BSD and MIT licenses (just to name two) demonstrate that
>universities are indeed common producers of open-source software, but
>I am surprised that the academic world does not insist on
>open-sourcing all software produced therein.

Conflict of interests. The problem is that many universities are at least
partly funded by private dollars, and now have vested interests in
intellectual property. This is why you now see so many patents coming
out of universities. It's really a travesty, a complete corruption of
the open, sharing of knowledge that makes science work.

C//