Using Python for business app development

Joe Bolton krbolton at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 22 16:00:39 EST 2002

My Technology company is currently evaluating Python for use as a
x-platform dev tool for developing business apps (GUI and/or Web based
accounting type apps). We have developed for years on proprietary type
systems (mainly IBM AS/400's) & some win apps using MS/VB. We have
researched python for about 2 months and we are impressed with what we
have found. There does not to seem to be alot of accounting type
applications avaliable that were developed with python. Is there a
reason(?) since it appears to have the capability. We are looking at
pyQT and/or wxPython for the GUI dev, Zope(& 3rd party tools) for web
dev, and postgreSQL for relational db. Also looking for some modeling
tools compatible with python. Any comments or advice from experienced
developers is appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe