os.link & NTFS 5

Wolfgang Strobl wks000 at t-online.de
Fri Dec 27 20:06:41 EST 2002

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:

>Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
>>>Right. Now, how do I use this in a binary that needs to run on W9x and
>>>WNT as well?
>>

>> You don't.  The original question was about WinXP, though.
>
>Alas, a single binary needs to support all Windows versions, that's why
>CreateHardLink cannot be used.

What's wrong with

	pCreateHardLink = GetProcAddress( GetModuleHandle("kernel32"),
	                         "CreateHardLinkA");
	if (pCreateHardLink)
	    rc=pCreateHardLink(lnk,existing,NULL);
	else ...

?

This idiom  - "run-time dynamic linking" - is almost as old as Windows
itself.

>>>This isn't really an equivalent: the target file name must denote a
>>>directory.
>>

>> If I'm not mistaken, that's just what the OP needed.
>
>The OP said that he wasn't certain what he needs; from the description,
>it appears that hard links are what the OP would really want.

>From the description I deduced that he was looking for a way to map
font directories into different parts of the file system tree.

--
Thank you for observing all safety precautions