12 years of Python and only at v2.2

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Dec 3 18:03:14 EST 2002

In article <m29quuc6qjvvr1arhcb21ncfu0f7dd3c4i at 4ax.com>, Manuel M Garcia wrote:
> 3. Python is high-quality: While it's matured for over a decade now,
> its developmental philosophy is so conservative it only recently
> reached version 2.2.
>
> Is Python unusual in this respect?  The only comparable situation I
> can think of off the top of my head is with Linux, begun in 1992 and
> at v2.4 currently.

I think the notion that any insight into the code itself can be gained by a
version number alone is generally fallacious, save perhaps for the ability
to determine how many marketroids are involved :-)

Some projects are still at 0.6 yet are more stable than others at 7.1.
Different projects employ vastly different versioning schemes.  For
instance, Solaris bumps version numbers a lot more than Linux, and even has
had multiple version numbers :-)

-- John