opening a text document to show a .txt file through a browser link

Ole Jensen ole_jensen at dbmail.dk
Sat Dec 28 19:19:28 EST 2002

INTRODUCTION to my question
A slight introduction, might be required: I have for a long time now wanted
to learn how to program I have also for equally long time wanted to gain
some skills in making internet sites. Unfortunatly I have not known what to
program nor known what to right about on a internet site. Until recently I
got the freightning idea of doing *both*

Question:
Example: when you want to check someone's .css file then you type in the url
of the .css files location, and a text editor appears with the style codes
within it. (everyone knows this right!)

now What I would like to do is to have the same effect with text file that I
have *linked* to.

I get the effect I want if I type in the url of the txt file. but I dont
want to type in the url I just want click the link and have a text editor
showing me the code, not the browser as it is now!

I have tried (rather optimitically) with <a type=text/plain href="LINK">

but no luck.

Also if it is possible I would like to make annother link that opens the
same file in a specífic program (which I expect most of my viewers to have
installed) how can this be done (if possible)

for currious people the (tempory) link is:
D:\Programmer\frontpage2K\Sites\Learning to program\programs.htm