examples of CGI "games" with Python

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Dec 13 03:59:56 EST 2002

Will Stuyvesant wrote:

> I understand that.  I will design it in such a way that users can
> queue commands and there is no need for very fast interactivity.
> Commands will not be like 'move left' but more like 'go from city A to
> city B' and 'build temple'.  At http://ige.qgir.cz there is a game
> where every turn even takes *one day* and I like it (and its written
> in Python).

Okay, well that's fine; strategic games certainly could be reasonably
implemented in CGI with pure HTML, but tactical games or games with a
high degree of interactivity like Nethack or (say) Empire definitely
would not.

There are plenty of strategy games out there that are implemented with
CGI; the first popular one that I'm aware of (it may indeed be the first
4X game in CGI) is Stellar Crisis.  Since then there has been a huge
proliferation, such that there are several entire Web sites devoted
simply to listing Web games.  I have links to some on my Web page:

	http://www.alcyone.com/max/links/games.html#Web_games

/  \ Substance is one of the greatest of our illusions.
\__/ Sir Arthur Eddington
    Rules for Buh / http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/cards/buh.html
 The official rules to the betting card game, Buh.