Boa vs. PythonCard

Andy Todd andy_todd at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 3 10:32:58 EST 2002

Chris Liechti <cliechti at gmx.net> wrote in message news:<Xns92D8E3A1555A3cliechtigmxnet at 62.2.16.82>...
> Thomas Guettler <pan-newsreader at thomas-guettler.de> wrote in
> news:pan.2002.12.02.21.04.52.49750.699 at thomas-guettler.de:
> > Up to now I mostly programmened commandline tools.
> > But unfortunately you sometimes need GUIs.
> > I looked around and found Boa and PythonCard. Can someone
> > compare these two programms? How stable are they?
>
> i'd add http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/ which i used for some apps in the
> last few weeks. simple but efficient to use. it's 'only' for the GUI
> and does not generate event code. but you can edit and regenerate gui code
> in an py file with your code.
>
> chris

There is Qt Designer as well (sorry, don't have the URL to hand).

The major difference between Boa and PythonCard is intended audience.
>From the Boa web site (http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net);

"Boa Constructor is a cross platform RAD GUI Building IDE". It is
built using wxPython and exposes that as the windowing platform.

PythonCard on the other hand, whilst it also uses wxPython, tries to
make building GUI applications as simple as possible. From the web
site (http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/);

"If you are already familiar with wxPython, just think of PythonCard
as a simpler way of doing wxPython programs with a whole lot of
samples and tools already in place for you to copy and subclass and
tools to help you build cross-platform applications."

In terms of stability, both are still in 'alpha' but don't let that
fool you, both are stable and very useable and useful. They are only
categorised in that way to avoid discontent. Both products will grow
and change over time but are following the open source approach of
releasing early and often to make them as bullet proof as possible.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I am a bit too biased to
comment, other than to say that both have some great features. I would
suggest downloading both and seeing how they fit your requirements.

Of course, if you are too busy to evaluate them just go ahead and
download PythonCard ;-)

Regards,
Andy