What do you think about a spreadsheet with python/tkinter ?

Mike Brenner mikeb at mitre.org
Mon Dec 9 13:10:32 EST 2002

Hi Olivier,
I agree that we need a spreadsheet with all of your requirements,
and I agree we need Python source code for it,
but I am curious why wxGrid or Tkinter?

Why not add the requirement that it generate html and work
in both Netscape and Internet Explorer without frames?

The instances, computations, plotting (via svg),
inserting from python (and ascii and xml and cvs),
modifiable look and feel, multi-os, and very light
can all be accomplished in Python, generating
html which includes:

	- the DIV operator which permits variable size
		columns, floating headers, etc.
	- ODBC/JDBC which permits access to ascii files,
		SQL databases, cvs files, etc., like
		a java server page -- perhaps by coding
		a python server page or *.pysp
	- Python dynamic evaluation of expressions
	-Rreading and writing xml using packages on the level of JDOM
	- using SVG because it is installable on all secure Netscape
		(4.79) browsers and all IE browsers, thus
		covering all unixen, macs, and windows machines
		(Someday it will work again in mozilla Netscape?)