Simple encryption proposal. Comments ?

Thomas Weholt 2002 at weholt.org
Mon Dec 30 09:43:47 EST 2002

> is encryption that will keep your kid sister from reading your
> documents, and then there is encryption that will keep large
> corporations and government agencies from reading your document."  A

Ok, but it's at least an annoyance for hackers, if not top cryptography
against government snooping.
Most of the time the data will be sent over SSL so the encryption thing of
mine will probably be overhead anyway.

> That said, the described technique is probably OK for the things that
> rotor would be better for.  Or you could use mxCrypto/amkCrypto for
> serious purposes.

Hm .... are you saying I'm better off using rotor? My first attempts used
rotor, but storing rotor-encrypted data in values of HTTP-cookies didn't
work very good, since cookie-values must  be in the
string.lowercase+string.uppercase+'0123456789'-range ( in addition to the
normal ,.-_ etc. characters ). Rotor produced alot of unprintable data. If I
didn't mess it up somewhere that is.

Since normal basic HTTP-authentication is stored as a cookie, just
Base64-encoded, I thought even a simple encryption scheme would provide
better security than that.

Thanks for the tip about mxCrypto/amkCrypto.

Best regards,
Thomas