Acrimony in c.l.p.

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Sun Dec 22 19:18:59 EST 2002

"Terry Hancock" <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> wrote in message
> On Sunday 22 December 2002 06:16 am,  Gary Duncan wrote:
> > Laura Creighton:

> 1) It not only makes things easy, it makes them *look* easy. Perl and Lisp
> don't do this -- they make it look hard, which makes you look smarter if
you
> can understand it, which fuels pecking-order battles.  Python, I find, is
> consistently frustrating to any such impulses I might have.  Most newbies
can
> figure out even fairly clever code by reading the source alone.  There are
> exceptions, but, IMHO, not as many.

This seems to me to be a bit of a myth which was more true in 1.5.2 days.
It is not to say that many of the additions to the language are not welcome,
but only that they seem to deal with topics and practices which are
complicated. While the developers of the language have done a good job of
implementing new features in a reasonable way, the additional complexities
to reading other's code often puts it beyond the realm of newbies -- perhaps
including some of us who feel like perpetual newbies.

-d