PYC Files

Newt newt_e at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 19 13:57:38 EST 2002

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote in message
news:EEnM9.2404$LY2.131110 at newsc.telia.net...
> "Newt" <newt_e at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> quick answers:
>
> > Are the .pyc files system independant?
>
> yes, as long as you're using the same Python version.
>
> you cannot use PYC files for e.g. 2.1 with a 2.2 interpreter.
>
> > Can .pyc files be 'uncompiled' back to the original source code?
>
> http://www.crazy-compilers.com/decompyle/
>
> > When releasing software, is it normal to release the .py files, or .pyc
> > files?
>
> what kind of software?

Mainly a series of modules. I've been trying to put together an application
that allows the user to select various options and stuff. THe user can then
save the data to an XML file. I want to do a trial release, but I'm not
completely sure how to release! I wasn't sure if it should be the .pyc files
and some sort of runtime environment, or the .py files and expect them to
donwload python (approx 8mb).