[snake-farm] Re: 2.2.x backports of 2.3.x new features?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Dec 11 13:05:07 EST 2002

paul at boddie.net (Paul Boddie) writes:

> Perhaps the PBF should just work from Python 2.3 when it comes out,
> especially since...
>
>   * The stated motivations for 2.3 were enhanced stability and
>     performance - just the thing for long term deployment,
>     although rolling in 2.3.x bugfixes might be wise.
>
>   * There doesn't seem to be a PBF tie-enabled release yet.
>
>   * A lot of new module functionality in 2.3 seems to be very
>     important to "enterprise" software.

Maybe, but then again:

 * saying this now might mean that 2.4 looks more attractive, then
   2.5, etc...

 * 2.2 has been through two bugfix releases -- there's some hairy code
   in 2.3 that hasn't been battle tested to the same degreee (I know,
   I wrote some of it)

 * 2.3 doesn't exist yet; it's going to be months before 2.3 final.

It might be worth considering, but I don't think it should be used as
an excuse/justification for *more* delays.

Cheers,
M.

--
  The Oxford Bottled Beer Database heartily disapproves of the
  excessive consumption of alcohol.  No, really.