Newbie matter: MySQL connection

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Mon Dec 16 19:06:53 EST 2002

* Juan Ignacio Chiapetta <juanimaster at ciudad.com.ar> [2002-12-16 20:46 -0300]:
> Hi everyone, I'm just starting with Python and I want to connect to a MySQL
> database. I'm using mysql-python-0.9.2 on Windows XP, with Python 2.2 and
> MySQL 3.23.38
> I can't get Python to connect to my database, here's the problem. If I
> import CompatMysqldb,

Don't. See this comment in CompatMysqldb.py:

    [...]It is intended for backwards compatibility purposes only.[...]

> I try to use the Connection() method, but I get this
> response:

:-/

    $ sudo find /|grep CompatMySQLdb.py|xargs rm -f

*eg*

Forget about this module. The one to use is MySQLdb. And you use it like
this:

#v+
import smtplib
import MySQLdb

con = MySQLdb.connect(host="myhost", user="me", passwd="sicrit", db="blackmailing_profits")

cursor = con.cursor()
cursor.execute("select boss_email, victim_email from profits where amount > 1000")
for row in cursor.fetchall():
    # [do evil stuff]

For documentation, download the MySQLdb source distribution and look
into doc/MySQLdb.html.

HTH,

Gerhard
--