Will Open Source Java and PHP5 slowdown or stop the adoptionof Python?

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 10 15:50:32 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 12:10, Jorge R wrote:
> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
> Hmmm
>
> Please consider this is not a troll. I am not talking about current Python
> users migrating to Java but current Java users (or PHP) migrating to Python.
>
> How do you think adoption of Python would be affected?

The bottom line is that any real response to your question would be pure
speculation.  Further, I wonder why anyone would worry about what other
people choose to use. Someone else's choice of language certainly isn't
going to affect mine (well, unless it's my boss).  I certainly encourage
people to use Python, since I expect that it will benefit them, but if
they choose to continue using, say VB, well, more (or less) power to
them.

There are many reasons for choosing a particular language for a
particular application, and while PHP improving its OO capabilities
might prevent some people from moving from that language, the news that
Java is getting an "Open Source API" is certainly underwhelming.  Most
significantly, neither of these things is going to be the primary factor
in determining what language someone is going to use.

However, we'd best watch out for [incr Tcl] - I understand their user
base /doubled/ to 112 last year ;)

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)