Python editor example with auto-complete?

Robert Oschler Oschler at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 11 10:37:49 EST 2002

"holger krekel" <pyth at devel.trillke.net> wrote in message
> Robert Oschler wrote:

<snip>
> If you are inside an editor you are *not* in the runtime environment
> of the program.   Parsing python syntax gets you no clue
> about the actual objects and its type.  That's why it is called
> 'dynamic typing'.  Not static type declaration: it is not enough
> for an editor to only parse source code to get to autocompletion
> information.  It requires *execution* in order to know which
> object a name refers to.
>
> To summarize, an editing facility needs to be connected to
> the runtime execution of your program to give you autocompletion.
>
> Michael Hudson's pyrepl, Fernando Perez' IPython and my
> 'rlcompleter2.py' aim in this direction.  While Michael's
> pyrepl does multiline editing my stuff handles all python
> statements/expressions and additionally provides runtime
> documentation introspection.
>
> regards,
>
>     holger

Holger,

As I said in my reply to Michael, I want it for my own Python code that runs
inside a Python Interpreter instance I have embedded in another app.  In
this scenario I am running inside the 'runtime environment'.  This is also
why I want auto-complete, to make script editing while inside the foreign
app a little easier.  BTW, tried accessing the rlcompleter2 link but it kept
timing out, thx.

http://home.trillke.net/~hpk/rlcompleter2.py

thx