HELP! Must choose language!

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Mon Dec 30 09:04:30 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1041243815.442.python-list at python.org>,
Laura Creighton  <lac at strakt.com> wrote:

>C and C++ and BASIC are far from ideal languages to learn programming
>despite the fact that many people did learn C or BASIC as their first
>programming language.  Whatever language you learn first will give you
			.
			.
			.
It surprises me that folks have answered so temperately.
I'll summarize my sentiment:  C++ is child abuse.

In the US, certain standardized examinations of
"programming knowledge" aimed at high-school graduates
are expressed in C++.  I consider this an intellectual
outrage.  I like C++, was once expert in it, and still
more than competent; to inflict it on beginners is an
egregious mistake, though.

C++ is a poor vehicle for communicating concepts, in
comparison with Python, ML, Eiffel, or Scheme, say,
and it's undeniably far harder to learn than C, let
alone Python, Smalltalk, ...
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net