No macros in Python

Patrick W patrickw106 at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 15 20:24:39 EST 2002

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters <mertz at gnosis.cx> writes:

> For all the raves I see about how wonderful Lisp macros are, it always
> seems to amount to a slightly different way of spelling LOOP.

You kidding aren't you?  CLOS (Common Lisp Object System) is
implemented with macros; it's a fully fledged object system supporting
multiple inheritance, generic functions and multiple dispatch.  Hardly
what anyone would call "a slightly different way of spelling LOOP."

I don't regard macros in Python as a good idea, but dissing Lisp
macros as dressed up looping constructs is way off the mark.