Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sun Dec 1 23:18:16 EST 2002

maney at pobox.com wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I am close! I have asked twice here what folks use to do Python, and I
>>have yet to get one solitary answer. That is /really/ strange. Anyway,
>>what IDE /do/ you use?
>

> None.  I use any of several different editors (none of which are emacs
> or vi, for I am agnostic: I dislike both of them).  Well, unless you
> consider the set of xterm, browser, etc. windows I have open as a
> home-grown, constantly changing to suit the shifting requirements, IDE.
> Aside from abusing "integrated", it's fairly applicable.  :-)

sure, that's a fine environment. 'make' is in there, too, yes?

but in the two Lisp IDE's I use, when developing if I kersplat into a
backtrace I get a window showing me the stack. I can double-click an
instance and hop into an inspector. Or I can double-click on a frame and
it takes me to the definition in my source. I can use another key combo
to bounce to other definitions, then edit code for an hour and hit
another key combo to recompile all changed source. then I can return to
the backtrace window and tell Lisp to continue where it left off.

if i get really confused i call up Apropos, which searches known
defintions by substring of name. In ACL i can tell it if I want just
functions or classes, and which namespaces to search. when i find a
likely candidate I hit F1 and am transported to the Common Lisp
hyperspec entry for that function.

i don't use the built-in class browser much, but that's just me. more
often i use the keychord which finds a definition, then i just bounce
from class to superclass to superclass till i learn what i want.

Life is good. :)

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc