Idea: python -a archive [-f filename.py ...] ...

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Mon Dec 23 21:07:41 EST 2002

This can be done with a wrapper cmd shell, but might be worth incorporating for convenience?

The key idea is a convenient way to invoke any Python script/program from a .zip
or .tgz etc. archive, and optionally pass the archive to the program so started.

The -a option would open the archive, find and extract main.py [or filename.py]
and execute that with the original command line. Very simple.

You could perhaps add some options for loading main.py or -f filename.py into -F alias.py
and running that instead. Or -t tempfiletag to generate tempfiletag_somethingintempdir.py.

It could obviously serve the purpose of quick-and-dirty selfloading distribution archives,
with an installer in main.py or -f install.py etc. And I would prefer this over .exe installers,
which always make me nervous, even when they come from friends. At least this way, I could unzip
manually and have a look, and do it all manually if I want to, or have an easy starting script
for hacking an install variation. BTW, this is just one possible use, not the key idea.

Regards,
Bengt Richter