Boa?

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Mon Dec 23 09:52:15 EST 2002

Jive Dadson wrote:
> I downloaded something called Boa.  It is listed on forgesource as
> "alpha", so one can expect it's not ready for prime time.  I think it
> can be used as a Python IDE.  When I installed it, I got a whole bunch
> of files in my Python22 directory.  I have all the components installed
> that the download site says I need.  I can't figure out how to start the
> thing!  The "doc" directory has some .py files that don't seem to do
> anything when you run them.  I started "Boa.pyw" and it popped up a
> dialog saying "flags is an invalid keyword for this function."  Ohhhhhhh
> kay.  I don't find anything in my start menu.
>
> Anyone know what Boa is and how to bring it to life?

Boa is an awesome Delphi-like IDE for wxPython.
But it is in alpha state since a longer time,
and unfortunately it doesn't suffice to install
the one old zip archive. You also need to get
a snapshot from CVS and install this over it.
The recommended path where things should live
is (on my machine, Python is in d:\python22):

D:\python22\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\tools\boa

You should install the latest wxPython distribution,
before.
That error message is probably an early boa version,
not aware of recent wxWindows changes.

ciao - chris