distributed computing - recommendations please

Tony Dunn tdunn at lynxxsolutions.com
Mon Dec 30 23:21:20 EST 2002

I just took over as DBA for a marketing group in a large finance firm.

I have been given a tremendous amount of flexibility in terms of technology
choices and I'm trying to ease Python into the mix.  I've been using Python
for a couple years for data loading and transformations, but I'd like to
broaden that role in this new gig...so,

Given I'll have to interface with ASP and VB on the front end (sadly,
removing Windows from the mix is *not* an option), what is the best way to
run Python in a distributed fashion in handling all the business logic. I've
been reading up on XML-RPC, DCOM/COM+ and SOAP, but I'm not sure what's best
suited for what I want to do.  I've written in-process COM servers on
several occasions and have had great success, but I'm not sure how to
distribute them (or if it even makes sense...)

If you've got some practical experience in this area, I would deeply value
and appreciate your opinion!

Thanks,

-Tony