Unit test examples

Donnal Walter donnal at donnal.net
Mon Dec 23 19:05:02 EST 2002

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<3E061447.E96E3D90 at engcorp.com>...
> The current thinking is that one approaches this by developing a
> "thin" layer (as mentioned in some other responses you've seen) which
> is not test-driven, but which is at least in theory so simplistic
> and decoupled that it does not *need* an extensive net of unit tests
> to make it manageable.  You develop this very thin interface the
> traditional way, sort of, which is to say by direct observation that
> it "does what you want".  Provided you've made it thin enough, you
> may never have to maintain the individual methods, other than perhaps
> adding a new one from time to time.

Partly from the context and partly just by thinking about the English
words, I have a vague sense of what is meant by "thin layer" or "thin
interface", but could someone please point me to some more complete
explanations or examples? (Even with extra modifiers, Google found
LOTS on thin-layer chromatography, but I didn't see anything on
thin-layer GUI development.) Thanks.

Donnal Walter
Arkansas Children's Hospital