web server options

Paul Rubin phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Thu Dec 26 17:00:17 EST 2002

"dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at e-coli.net> writes:
> The things that I need are, (1) the ability to run on the above hardware,
> (2) the ability to serve via python scripts, and (3) the ability to run 2
> distinct servers (i.e. www.foo.com and www.bar.com), both on port 80, on the
> same hardware (the server is behind a NAT box, and I am not sure what sort
> of complications this will bring to this one).

If you mean you want to run two separate servers on the same port on
the same IP address, sorry, you can't do that.

If you mean you want the same server to respond to hits on both
www.foo.com and www.bar.com, that's called a virtual host and most
reasonable servers can do it now.  You set up www.foo.com and
www.bar.com to have the same IP address and the server distinguishes
them based on the Host header that all recent browsers send.

> The options that seem the most promising are Apache2 + mod_python 3, Medusa,
> Twisted.  I am a bit doubtful about Apache on the hardware, and in
> particular mod_python on FreeBSD, but I haven't tried it to be sure (the
> only post online I have seen continually mentioned seg fault...). I haven't
> been able to figure out how to use Medusa with 2 servers though I'm sure
> there is a way.  Last, Twisted seems really cool, but I don't know much
> about it and am looking for feedback from someone who has done this and can
> say whether it is a good options or not.

I advise adding some more memory to that box (you said you had just 48MB)
for the stuff you want to run.