os.link & NTFS 5

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Dec 26 18:17:47 EST 2002

"DP" <pennedinil at excite.com> writes:

> I'm looking for the equivalent of os.link and os.symlink for Python/WinXP
> (i.e., NTFS 5). These functions seem to be available only on Python/UNIX.
> They're also available on Python/Cygwin.I haven't found anything similar to
> this for Win32 platforms.

Correct, this is no equivalent. You could almost say there is no
equivalent on Win32, any programming language, period. I know this is
not a precise description of the current state, but quite close to it.

> I also need a means of manipulating file permissions and properties from
> within Python. What's the best way of going about this? Again, I just don't
> know enough.

I can't help much here, either, although I do think Mark Hammond's
Win32 extensions expose the relevant Windows API. So you have to first
learn what the Windows API is (read some book on Win32), then how to
use it from Python.

An alternative is to invoke cacls.exe.

Regards,
Martin