the real .pyc file

Duncan Booth duncan at rcp.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 04:53:30 EST 2002

Wolfgang Strobl <wks000 at t-online.de> wrote in
news:m3ahuusnth95tj3csafp64o3nfjgsk0vpb at 4ax.com:

>>although, of course, your 'void main' isn't actually legal,
>
> I believe it is legal. See
>
> http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/legality-of-void-main.ht
> ml

Ok, so my wording was imprecise. 'void main' invokes undefined behaviour,
this means that on some compilers it may have the desired effect, and the
C standard (unlike the C++ standard) does not prevent a compiler accepting
a definition of 'void main'. However it may also fail to work.

(BTW, I think the author of the article you indicated has got confused
between implementation-defined and undefined).

Allow me to shall correct my wording:

"... your 'void main' isn't actually disallowed by the C standard, but it
will invoke undefined behaviour which could do anything up to and beyond
launching a nuclear strike."