Applying the Law of Demeter

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Fri Dec 13 02:55:54 EST 2002

The likely law of Demeter being discussed:

    Don't eat pomegranates from strangers.

and it was definitely something she'd have liked her daughter to learn
:) .  Her daughter was Persephone, who became the bride of Hades after
eating the seed of the pomegranate he gave her.  The descent of
Persephone causes Demeter (the Earth-mother) to weep and wail and cause
winter.  The return of Persephone causes the rejoicing we call spring.
 There's all sorts of seed imagery associated with Persephone if I
recall correctly (both as something she eats, and as something she
represents in her descent into the earth and eventual rebirth).

Demeter and Persephone were worshiped by (cthonic) cults in ancient
Greece.  There's one funky temple they showed us in class where there
are so many columns to hold up the earth above it that it would
apparently have been almost impossible to see the ceremonies from most
positions in the sanctuary.

And here I thought all that architectural education was going to go to
waste :) ,
Mike

Laura Creighton wrote:

>>Brett g Porter wrote:
>>

>>>Or: Each unit should only talk to its friends; Don't talk
>>>to strangers.
>>>

>>Especially ones that pass you sweets as parameters.
>>

>>>In this general form, the LoD is a more specific case of the Low Coupling
>>>Principle well-known in software engineering. The Low Coupling Principle is
>>>very general and we tried to make it more specific.
>>>

>>What I'd like to know is where the word "Demeter" came from.
>>Is it someone's name, or what?
>>
>>--
>>Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
>>University of Canterbury,
>>Christchurch, New Zealand
>>http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg
>>

>I don't know, but I'll bet it what she wished she taught her daughter :-)
>
>Laura

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/