web server options

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Thu Dec 26 18:52:05 EST 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:31:35 GMT, "dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at e-coli.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a DSL line, a Packard Bell P150/48MB running FreeBSD 4.7, and an itch
>to run a web server.  To that end, I am looking for suggestions on what web
>server to use, and perhaps experiences people may have had.
>
>The things that I need are, (1) the ability to run on the above hardware,
>(2) the ability to serve via python scripts, and (3) the ability to run 2
>distinct servers (i.e. www.foo.com and www.bar.com), both on port 80, on the
>same hardware (the server is behind a NAT box, and I am not sure what sort
>of complications this will bring to this one).
>
>The options that seem the most promising are Apache2 + mod_python 3, Medusa,
>Twisted.  I am a bit doubtful about Apache on the hardware, and in
>particular mod_python on FreeBSD, but I haven't tried it to be sure (the
I am running Apache compiled with suExec option but not mod python. It supports
multiple virtual hosts, and runs python as cgi. It is adequate for testing and
such on my little lan. It's a P90 with 48 mb, running slackware. But I had BSD
on it before, and it was happy doing that. I have no GUI on it at all now, but
I have run Enlightenment(?) on it before, though it was a bit sluggish.

I've written fairly complex C++ cgi and tested it there, and that worked fine.
But I haven't exposed it to any real traffic demands.

>only post online I have seen continually mentioned seg fault...). I haven't
>been able to figure out how to use Medusa with 2 servers though I'm sure
>there is a way.  Last, Twisted seems really cool, but I don't know much
>about it and am looking for feedback from someone who has done this and can
>say whether it is a good options or not.
Can't help with those at this point ;-)

>Also, if there are any other options that might be better, please tell.

I'd like to hear some comparisons between RH7.3 and others, since I have
an uninstalled set of CDs for that. Both slackware and BSD have pretty
recent new releases I think.

Regards,
Bengt Richter