Anyone seen a Javascript interpreter in Python?

Robert Oschler Oschler at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 11 01:03:59 EST 2002

"Robert Ginda" <rginda at netscape.com> wrote in message
news:at5n3l$m46$1 at pixie.nscp.aoltw.net...
> Where exactly is Venkman falling short?  It's got some problems loading
> source during page load, but you can work around that with Pretty Print
> mode.  I've debugged some fairly complicated scripts (including Venkman
> itself) without any real issues.  I've never even attempted to debug an
> XML document though, so there could be some issues there that I don't
> know about.  I'd be interested to hear specific problems or suggestions
> you might have.
>

> Rob.
> (The guy who wrote Venkman.)

Rob,

Please don't misinterpret my post.  Venkman is terrific and it's made the
chore of debugging in-page JavaScript go from brutal to livable, a very fine
piece of work.  But here's the problem I've been having, and if it's a *user
error* my apologies in advance.  So I don't express something improperly,
here's the exact situation.  I've been using Amazon's Web Services server to
generate HTML documents from an XML query I submit with an attached
reference to an XSL document that resides on my web server.  Amazon returns
an HTML document that has JavaScript embedded into it via the processing of
my XSL document.  For some reason, when Mozilla renders the page, it does
not propagate the JavaScript on the page into Venkman like it does with a
"regular" web page, so I can't use Venkman.  So I have to set up a trial
client side using Microsoft's XML ActiveX object , MSXML2 3.0 and:

- mirror the query by submitting the XML query to Amazon and loading it into
an MSXML2 object.
-  load the XSL document on my web server locally into an MXSML2 object
-  transform the XML document returned by Amazon with the XSL document
- write the results of the transformation to a web page
- load it into Mozilla and then debug it with Venkman

This of course is a lot of work and in addition, is questionable, because
the resulting debuggable document is being generated via a series of steps
different from the original, introducing uncertainty into the debugging
process.

Here's a query if you want to try it yourself;

http://xml.amazon.com/onca/xml2?&t=webservices-20&dev-t=VADAX187287&ActorSea
rch=shania%20twain&mode=dvd&type=heavy&page=1&sort=+titlerank&f=http://www.a
ndroidtechnologies.com/xsl/test_template_standard.xsl

And again using a Tiny URL in case the above query URL gets mangled:

http://tinyurl.com/3f8p

Again, if I'm just doing something silly, point it out, I can handle it.
But that's what motivated my original post.  Venkman's great, period, I just
can't use it in my current development environment.

thx