Turn off cycle detection at runtime?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Dec 29 10:41:30 EST 2002

[Jive Dadson]

> If I don't create cycles in my data, I can disable "gc" without anything
> bad happening.

One gains execution speed, even quite notably in some applications.
My feeling is that it is worth avoiding cycles, when speed is important[1].

On the other hand, this is surely comfortable just not worrying about
cycles, relying on the Python garbage collector to do it all nicely.

[1] In daily practice, speed is much less important than we used to think.
There are some speed cases, but in our experience, these are rather unusual.