python and xslt problems

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Sat Dec 28 02:49:18 EST 2002

"christof hoeke" <csad7 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> (http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/11/py-xml.html).
> the problem is even with the updated info i am unable to do a simple xslt
> transformation, even the example on the xml.com site does not work.

I'll let Uche speak for himself regarding the accuracy of his article, but
if there is something not working for you, let him know.

> it might be just me, but it seems there are various xml/xslt packages for
> python (pyxml, fourthoughts package, ...) but none of them is
comprehensive
> for dom/sax/xslt/xpath/dtd/schema support and the documentation for all
> packages is rather weak...

Between PyXML and 4Suite, support for those technologies (and more, like
RDF) is very comprehensive. OK maybe not so much for XML Schemas, but
they're overrated, anyway... use RELAX NG.

> does anyone know a good up to date book or a good and reliable tutorial or
> even a good documentation for an xslt engine for python?

The developers of PyXML and 4Suite are well aware of documentation
deficiencies, but in some situations, like with the complete rewrite of
4Suite as of the current 0.12.0 alphas, it's somewhat of a moving target. In
light of this situation, we try to be as helpful as we can in getting people
up to speed by answering questions on the mailing lists: