bug(?) in 2.2.2, or...

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Fri Dec 6 00:04:34 EST 2002

Maybe I just need advice. Maybe not.

I'm installing Python 2.2.2 on my RH Linux 7.2 machine. As we all
know, this is a sucky thing to hafta do.

I configured and built Python so that 2.2.2 would be installed as
python2, because, as we all know, RH 7.2 isn't so happy about
replacing the default python.

I did this by using ./configure --suffix=2 which does seem like it
should work properly. It does seem, to me, like the only "easy" way to
build a python2, but maybe this is where I need the advice.

When I get toward the end of the build, I get the traceback below,
which appears to be a result of the "2" being interpreted as an int
rather than a string.

What's (maybe) worse is that a make clean followed by a make won't
reproduce this, because it claims that my scripts directory is up to
date (yikes). A make distclean will reproduce it though, so maybe
that's not really a defect either.

I don't know if these count as real bugs or not, I just thought I
would report One Man's Experience with the Make.

I'm now going to go back to faking my way thru the make/build/install
process. Do drop a line if you know A Better Way.

Thanks,
--G.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./setup.py", line 795, in ?
    main()
  File "./setup.py", line 790, in main
    scripts = ['Tools/scripts/pydoc']
  File "/home/geoff/build/Python-2.2.2/Lib/distutils/core.py", line 138, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "/home/geoff/build/Python-2.2.2/Lib/distutils/dist.py", line 893, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
  File "/home/geoff/build/Python-2.2.2/Lib/distutils/dist.py", line 913, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "/home/geoff/build/Python-2.2.2/Lib/distutils/command/build.py", line 107, in run
    self.run_command(cmd_name)
  File "/home/geoff/build/Python-2.2.2/Lib/distutils/cmd.py", line 330, in run_command
    self.distribution.run_command(command)
  File "/home/geoff/build/Python-2.2.2/Lib/distutils/dist.py", line 913, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "/home/geoff/build/Python-2.2.2/Lib/distutils/command/build_scripts.py", line 46, in run
    self.copy_scripts()
  File "/home/geoff/build/Python-2.2.2/Lib/distutils/command/build_scripts.py", line 98, in copy_scripts
    "python" + sysconfig.get_config_var("EXE")),
TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'int' objects
make: *** [sharedmods] Error 1

--
Geoff Gerrietts             "Overspecialize and you breed in weakness.
<geoff at gerrietts net>     It's slow death." -- Maj. Motoko Kusanagi