Python_Sightings_?

rzed Dick.Zantow at lexisnexis.com
Mon Dec 16 08:15:35 EST 2002

"Kevin at Cazabon.com" <kevin at cazabon.com> wrote in message
news:wWcL9.75507$hw3.11171 at sccrnsc04...
> >>available for end users that are NOT necessarily
> > interested in programming but in using the software ...
>
> Wouldn't that kinda defeat the point of ANY programming language
though?
> Does the user care if it is written in Python vs. Java?
>
> In the long run, as long as it's a good app and functional, the user
> SHOULDN'T have to care... that's your job as a programmer.
>
> Just stirring the pot...

When executing the program requires installing a new virtual machine,
the casual user might be more interested in running a similar program
that runs in his current environment. To that extent, the user would
care whether it is written in Python or Java. If it's a native
executable, that particular issue goes away.

A naive user's perception that a host of worthwhile applications is
available could make it worthwhile to install Python (or to have a
systems group install it). That would be a Good Thing, I believe.

--
rzed