From whence Lisp envy?

Aaron K. Johnson akjmicro at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 15:35:53 EST 2002

Some of the threads in this newsgroup seem to indicate 'lisp envy' or guilt
(i.e. the macro discussion). I say Python has its own amazing virtues. Are all
these kowtows to Lisp justified? (If you ask me, looking at Python's syntax and
Libraries should make Lispers kowtow to Python). Anyway, it seems to me that
more things can be done quite easily in Python where they take some hoop
jumping in Lisp. And the arguments that python doesn't scale up to larger
systems as well as Lisp are unfounded and theoretical (two qualities it seems
many die-hard Lispers value in their arguments)

I would bet any day that two programmers of equal skill in Lisp and Python
respectively dueling it out would end in Python winning the day for its rapid
prototyping stregths.

Caveat: before I get flamed by Lispers out there-know that I have a healthy
respect for Lisp, but I don't think 'Lisp envy' is becoming for Pythoners.

-Aaron.