quiz about symbolic manipulation

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sun Dec 15 20:09:54 EST 2002

On 15 Dec 2002 12:48:25 -0800, mis6 at pitt.edu (Michele Simionato) wrote:

>bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) wrote in message news:<atdsjv$cka$0 at 216.39.172.122>...
>> If you can assume no terms containing
>> nested commas (probably reasonable for math expressions) then it shouldn't be
>> too hard. But much beyond that and you may want to use the Python parser
>> after all ;-)
>
>Unfortunately, I cannot assume that. That's the reason why
>I said one needs the parser or compile module.
Well, a little state machine wouldn't be that big a deal.
Do you have a grammar for the language you need to handle?
Is it all math expressions?

What would be an example showing all the syntax that you have to handle?
And what other operations will you want to do besides rewriting function calls?
That might make a big difference for what parsing info you

Also, I'm a bit curious what this is actually for. I.e., what kind
of tool you're building, and why ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter