Python editor example with auto-complete?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Dec 11 10:35:48 EST 2002

"Robert Oschler" <Oschler at earthlink.net> writes:

> "Michael Hudson" <mwh at python.net> wrote in message
> news:7h38yyxivxi.fsf at pc150.maths.bris.ac.uk...
> > "Robert Oschler" <Oschler at earthlink.net> writes:
> >

> > I think Pythonwin and PyCrust both do this, don't they?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > M.
>
> Michael,
>
> I meant a Python example in code that could be used to add auto-complete to
> one's own Python program.  I'm not trying to reinvent an IDE/debugger, we
> have WingIDE and it's great, but if you embed Python into a foreign app as a
> scripting language, it would be useful to have in your 'mini-shell' a little
> bit of auto-complete.

Oh right.  Well, that depends on the interface your shell is using.
If it's a wx text control, you can probably crib code from PyCrust.
If it's a terminal you can use the standard rlcompleter or my pyrepl.
If it's using the win32all, look at the code for Pythonwin.  Etc.

The actual completion stuff isn't particularly hard (and has been done
repeatedly, so you can crib), it's stitching it up to the interface
that's non-trivial.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Reading Slashdot can [...] often be worse than useless, especially
  to young and budding programmers: it can give you exactly the wrong