Pre-PEP: __hashable__

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Tue Dec 10 23:45:34 EST 2002

Chad Netzer <cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov> wrote:
|>  key = tuple(dct.items())
|Not all tuples are hashable.

True enough.  I was trying to give you what you asked for, but no more
(i.e. an immutable version of a dictionary).  Inasmuch as you can spell
the identity function:

    identity = lambda d: dict(tuple(d.items()))

I think this 'tuple(dct.items())' can very reasonably be called "an
immutable dictionary".

Of course, if you want something *hashable*, you could try:

    key = cPickle.dumps(dct)

or,

    key = pprint.pformat(dct)

It's not to hard to find identity functions involving those expressions
:-).

I-really-wanted-to-squeeze-in-the-word-idempotent-ly yours, Lulu...

--
mertz@  | The specter of free information is haunting the `Net!  All the
gnosis  | powers of IP- and crypto-tyranny have entered into an unholy