How compare hex numbers?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Dec 14 16:22:53 EST 2002

Gustaf Liljegren wrote:

> Python says U is bigger when U is in fact smaller. I've tried other
> ways to
> specify that '0x10000' is hexadecimal too, including:
>
> if U < 0x10000:
> if U < '\x10000':
> if U < hex('0x10000'):
>
> What is the right syntax?

If U is in fact a number, then the first is the proper syntax.  The
second is comparing it against a very confused four-character string,
and the third will result in a TypeError (hex is for converting numbers
to a hexadecimal string notation, it doesn't work with strings
themselves).

/  \ A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms.
\__/ George Wald
    Python chess module / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/chess/
 A chess game adjudicator in Python.