urllib.urlopen blocking all threads for seconds when no connection or exception?

Dennis Reinhardt DennisR at dair.com
Fri Dec 13 13:49:24 EST 2002

> threading.Thread(target=thread1).start()
> is there a solution to this problem?
I am new to Python, your mileage may vary, ..... but I am very interested in
a solution and no one else is jumping in.

My experimentation on my own problem suggests that your thread1 is being
called when target= is evaluated.  When I write:

    th = threading.Thread(target=thread1).
    th.start()

What I see is that the thread1 is entered when the target is evaluated, and
not when start() is invoked.  To put an even finer point on it, when I
write:

    subname = thread1()
    th = threading.Thread(target=subname).
    th.start()

I see thread1 entered at the first line.  The problem here may well be that
threading is not taking place.  I would appreciate comments of others
because I could be wrong here.

I don't have a solution which works yet, but the first step is really
knowing what the problem is.
--

Dennis Reinhardt

DennisR at dair.com